Homemade Paper Flowers

Ok, so I have had an OVERWHELMING response to these paper flowers.  I was sitting on my couch, brainstorming a way to make a backdrop for a wedding to match the brilliance that Posh Paperie created for one of my clients.  I wanted to match the funky yellow flowers in the corner of the invites.  I dipped into my craft garage and pulled out some construction paper and a stapler.  I just started cutting some shapes and ended up figuring out these fun flowers.

Here is a DIY for all of you asking!

SUPPLIES:

Poster board

Construction paper

Scissors

Stapler

STEP ONE:

Trace out a shape of your leaf on the thick posterboard.  Use the poster board as the larges layer of leaves as it will provide a sturdy base for your flower.  Any shape will do, I just tried to match the flowers on the invites, so that is how I came up with this particular shape.

STEP TWO:

Cut out your leaf and use it as a stencil for the rest.  Cut out as many leaves as you need for the flower (I used five leaves per flower).

STEP THREE:

Do the same with all of the other sizes and types of paper you have.  I used poster board for the large petals, construction paper for the medium petals and tissue paper for the small petals.

STEP FOUR:

Place each paper leaf on top of each other in order of size.  You can use several sheets of the tissue paper leaves to create dimension and fluff.

STEP FIVE:
Fold the base of the petal like a taco and staple.
STEP SIX:
Repeat steps 1 through 5 for all of your petals.  Then staple each petal to each other to complete the flower.
COMPLETE:

Some places and ways I have used these flowers:
Utterly Engaged Issue 10 cover
Fun backdrop for April Wedding:
And my most recent whimsy fantasy wedding:
photo by Ashley Rose

39 Responses to Homemade Paper Flowers

1. Katie says:

Wow! I LOVE the arch for the whimsy wedding!

2. Jennifer says:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    love this look.
    you are so clever jesi!
    xo

3. Cool Idea! Love it… might have to try this one!

4. Lauren Lee says:

I’m so happy you posted a tutorial on this! I saw the alter from the wedding you just coordinated and I fell in love! It’s beautiful and very fitting for my fiance and I- graphic designer and a typesetter in a print shop! :)

5. Thank you Jesi!! I was wondering how you made these!!

6. THANK YOU so much for posting the how-to on the gorgeous flowers!!

7. Katie says:

Love this!!!!!
    I love the wedding arch as well! It is georgeous!

8. Daile Wilson says:

Hi Jesi I enjoyed this post a lot! I just posted about this if you don’t mind! :) love it!

9. alena says:

i absolutely adore the wedding altar you designed. i seriously cannot get enough – it’s so awesome! i tried my hand at making your flowers; yours are much cuter. your stapler is also much cuter than my stapler – i think that was my downfall! thanks for sharing this tutorial! i linked to your site, if that’s ok!

10. Pingback: Whimsical paper flowers | RussOnFlowers

11. admin says:

Alena, you are hilarious! You totally need a cute stapler….

12. kristen says:

oooh! very fun. thanks! I love these!!!

13. Pingback: breakfast for dinner = brinner « from alyssa to z

14. Kristin says:

I love love love it! All of my friends call me Martha Stewart so i def. have to try this out! What kind of wood and materials did you use for the actual arch?!? I don’t have money for vendors…I am a complete DIY bride! Help!

15. Sarah says:

Love the yellow backdrop, so cute! Just wondering what you hung the fabric from? Or is it draped over something?

16. admin says:

Hi Sarah!
    I have a backdrop frame that I use…It’s a photo backdrop frame, you can get it at any camera store!

17. admin says:

Hi Kristin!
    The branches were already on the structure!

18. Felecia- Tampa photographer says:

I love these!!! So gorgeous- I saw the bottom photo on the photographers blog a month or so ago and fell in love with the flowers- awesome idea!

19. alyx says:

wow … nice I like how you make and model … nice

20. Megan says:

I adore this arch- so colorful and fun Great Job!!

21. Pingback: 101 DIY Wedding Projects Round Up: Full List!! at creativedevelopment.biz

22. Laura Kelly says:

The invitations are beautiful!

23. Pingback: Wedding Belles » Blog Archive » DIY Monday – Flower Power!!

24. Pingback: adult match maker

25. Pingback: .::Papo de Mulheres » Festa decorada com papel

26. Pingback: Lunch time shenanigans « A Circular Life

27. Pingback: Friday’s FAB 5 | Fly Away Bride

28. Pingback: Paper Crafts

29. Jessika says:

I might be missing a step or just not gathering them correctly. How do you hide the staples?

30. This are gorgeous and your instructions are really easy to follow. They could be made smaller and used to decorate place cards or photo frames.

31. admin says:

Hi Jessika!
    I didn’t worry too much about hiding the staples, although I did try and staple themtoward the back side of the flower so that once they are hung up, you can’t see them!@

32. Pingback: DIY Queen | Paper Florals For Weddings

33. Joy says:

The wedding arch is so amazing! How did you attach the flowers to the structure?

34. admin says:

Hi Joy! I attached all of the flowers to chicken wire, then attached the chicken wire to the structure!

35. Pingback: Ladies Brunch and Flower Hour | Semi-DIY

36. Pingback: OC Vendor Spotlight – Sadie James Photography and Fall Photo Shoot Wrap Up

37. Pingback: Belle Amour - Alternative altar : Paper flowers

38. Fay Trimble says:

Could you tell me how you transported your lovely creations to the venues?